Monday, January 6, 2014

home made body lotion


I’ve used body butter for years but until recently I never thought it was possible to make my own product, comparable in terms of quality and effects with commercial counterparts. The fact that manufacturers charge a steep amount for top products, made me assume that it is virtually impossible to come even close to their standards. Now I know that I was wrong and although I could have saved a lot of money by now, I find solace in knowing that my expenses will drop sharply in the foreseeable future.
I can also put my worries to rest, as I spent many nights awake wondering how harmful are the side effects of most of my beauty products. Just imagine how many chemicals our skin absorbs every day as we soak it into products that are supposed to serve a noble purpose, namely to make us look better.
Body butter is unlikely to cause much harm, even in its commercial form, but why take any chances when it is so easy to make your own, in the comfort of your home.
lotion-butter-recipe
You’ll Need:
1 cup organic raw shea butter
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup almond oil (or you can use jojoba or mild olive oil)
newPostLabel_Instructions1Gather and measure the ingredients and put them in an oven-proof container for melting.
lotion-butter-recipe2
Gently melt shea butter and coconut oil in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat and let it cool for 30 minutes.
lotion
3
Once the mixture has cooled down, you can add the almond oil. Feel free to add other essential oils if you prefer a different fragrance (essential oil is optional though), just make sure that you’re not allergic to any of the ingredients.
4
This process is the crucial one. If you don’t chill it properly, it won’t whip or stay whipped. Place the mixture in a freezer for about 25 or 30 minutes until it starts to solidify partially but still soft in consistency (like this in the picture).
lotion3-15
By then, you can start whipping up the oil mixture using hand mixer or stand mixer until you reach a butter-like consistency. You can now transfer the mixture to a clean container.
Note:
This homemade lotion will stay whipped within moderate temperature however, if you are living in a warmer or tropical place, you can store this inside the fridge to maintain its consistency. I love the consistency of this homemade lotion as it leaves a thin layer of oil when applied to the skin without giving you that greasy feeling. After making my own batches, there’s no turning back using the store-bought synthetic junk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment